Saturday 4 April 2009

The Rose and the Dragon.

The Rose blossomed brilliantly.
Her smell and beauty emanated from every movement that the wind passed over it, and all that looked upon her smiled and petted velvet red bud.
She basked in the adoration, and made it her obligation to show off and bloom gradually so that all could savour her wonder.

Hanging above the Rose was a Dragon.
Colourful and spectacular in its own and very different way to the Rose.
His mouth was wide, his teeth pointy and many.
His body was a long, slender rainbow of colours - a feature the Rose envied.

"Why are you so frightful Dragon? your'e teeth and goggle eyes are ghastly and you have a rediculous body made up of clashing colours. Simplicity is key.

The Dragon replied, "This is how my maker wanted me to look beautiful Rose. I may not be as elegant and appealing as you, but I serve my purpose.

The cruel stunning Rose turned away from this notion -
"what purpose could you simply serve apart from scaring and offending all those who look upon you."

The Dragon roared fiercely - he could not fight the Rose's brash and hurtful words, she after all was too beautiful, so the world was on her side... surely.
The Rose continued to reign her beauty over all those, who set their eyes upon her. She scorned the Dragon all the while.
He cried, and cried,
"Why does Rose hate me so? I have not set out to hurt you as you have hurt me."

But the Rose did not listen.
One day, the Dragon looked upon the Rose, but something caught his eye that wasn't her beauty. In her vase where her velvet stalk stood proud in the water, were two velvet red petals.
The Dragon was sad, for he knew what the Rose's fate would be, and soon.

When the Rose had tired of blooming, she turned her attention to the colourful beast above.
"Hideous thing. Have you no shame in what you look like?"

The Dragon sighed heavily then said in a manner so bold and majestic -
"I am who I am, beautiful Rose.
I am a memory, and a novelty beyond expiration.
I am made of something far resistant than you.
You will wilter, and your delicious red will fade soon.
Your vibrant green stalk will brown and buckle under your weight.
The perfumed scent you pulsate will begin to reak send an essence of decay
and your bud will shrivel and fall, but"

The Dragon pondered, "I will not dwell in your horrific fate, because despite your cruelty, you are beautiful and fare. The mere sight of you brings me joy."

And it was then that the Rose looked upon the Dragon with guilt and sorrow.
She wilted away after that.